Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Thoughts on Reading


It's more difficult to listen to stories and cook at the same time, but it can be done. It's the same with watching movies while cooking – difficult doable.
The thing that I really enjoy doing, is impossible to do while doing other things. That is: read. You know, read from an actual book - enjoy the sensation of the words flowing past you so fast you forget you're reading and you're watching a movie in your mind instead. You don't register the turning of the pages, one after the other, or the actual words – they are all transformed into a glowing image.
I suppose, now thinking about it some more, it is possible to double task while reading. For instance, you can eat or walk, listen to music and if you're really good at crocheting or knitting you can do that and read, but I don't think that there is real enjoyment in the process if other things muck it up. There's always the worry that something is going to get on the pages, be it tea, dirt, or mashed potatoes. This is one of the reasons I hardly ever read outside – I don't want to mess the book up. This is, I suppose detrimental to my health, especially when I spend the whole of a day, sometimes two or three if I'm allowed to read uninterrupted, inside with only a few minutes total of my day spent in the great outdoors.
Not exactly a healthy lifestyle, right?
But is it healthy to live without stories- be they real or fantasy? I think most definitely not.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: